Asian American and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) have been an important and integral part of America since AAPI immigrants began arriving as early as the 18th century. The broad AAPI diaspora contributes to and continues to enrich the American way of life to this day.
With the rise in anti-Asian sentiment and violence, it's imperative to stand in solidarity with the AAPI community. Standing up against racism, injustice, and inequality for one marginalized group is standing up for all marginalized groups. We're definitely stronger together.
May is AAPI Heritage Month and we're celebrating with resources and some really great book recommendations. One way to combat racism and xenophobia is through education. Read and learn about the vast AAPI experiences here:
- Stop AAPI Hate
- Austin Public Library - Asian American Search List
- Book People - Asian American Fiction Book List
- Powell's Must Read - Japanese Fiction
- Austin History Center - Asian American Community Archivist Program
- Asian/Pacific American Librarians Association